ONS Young is a conference arena with a four-day programme for pupils at lower and upper secondary school, university students and young professionals in the industry. The arena has been an area of focus for ONS over the last years and this year’s event was an immense success.
For students and young professionals, the timing of ONS 2018 was impeccable with the increasing optimismin the energy industry. With strong support from our partners Wintershall, ConocoPhillips, Aker BP, Equinor, Lyse, DNB and Shell we invited the next generation into building an energy future that will benefit our generation and those to come.
– ConocoPhillips’ strategy is to be a leading producer of oil for many years to come, and continue to evolve in terms of optimization, environment and technology. To succeed it is important for us to connect with the next generation of energy professionals and to promote the opportunities in the industry and within our company, says Ingunn Hagelin, Manager HR ConocoPhillips Norway.
– ONS Young is an arena that gives us the opportunity to engage with young people on their premises and in an environment that is informal enough to create good dialogues. We have met an amazing number of talented, motivated and inspiring young people, that we hope one day will choose to join us, Hagelin continues.
A valuable networking arena
The programme consisted of close to 50 speakers, in addition to a large lounge with activities for the 4700 Young delegates. With the intention of showing and promoting the diversity of the energy industry, as well as inspiring young people to choose an education within science, ONS Young became the perfect arena to meet industry representatives, other young professionals and establish ties with future colleagues.
– Wintershall is proud to sponsor ONS Young and help nurture the next generation of oil and gas professionals. ONS Young was one of many highlights of this year’s event. It gave us the opportunity to meet the people who will help shape the future of our industry, says Peter Schwartz, Communication Specialist at Wintershall.
The industry needs young people
The oil and gas industry is in a constant state of development. New forms of energy require new technologies. Demands for cost reduction lead to new solutions. World energy consumption is increasing with greater competition for resources. In order to solve these challenges, the industry needs young people.
– ONS Young is a phenomenal arena to discuss with teachers, counselors, pupils and students about tomorrow’s opportunities: Future employees in the oil and gas industry will have the opportunity to work with the best of the best in digital solutions and new technologies, says Ole-Johan Faret, Press spokesperson, Aker BP.
For many young people ONS 2018 was their first meeting with a new employer, or their next step in an oil and gas education.
– Attracting young, talented minds is vital to drive innovation and transformation in the oil and energy industry. We wanted to give students the opportunity to meet and engage with the energy industry – and promote the endless career opportunities that are available to them. We are very pleased with the high attendance and we have already started to plan ONS Young 2020, says Cato Meling, Head of Conference and ONS Young.