The future of the international oil, gas and energy industry depends increasingly on its ability to develop new technologies. What are some of the emerging technologies that have the potential to transform the way energy is produced and used?
Our Innovation Awards are presented at the ONS Conference. Please see the guidelines and criteria for entering to the left.
Timeline for 2018
- Application portal opens 15 March 2018
- The deadline for entry is 23 May 2018 (Extended deadline)
- The number of candidates are announced in June
- Finalists are announced in August
- The awards will be presented to the winners at the ONS Conference on Tuesday 28 August
The Innovation Award
Through the ONS Innovation Award we recognise the crucial importance of cutting-edge technologies and solutions. The ONS Innovation Award was first presented in 1982.
SME Innovation Award
In 2004 the SME Innovation award was established to ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises are given the chance to highlight their new developments.
– Interwell for “Thermite P&A Barrier”
– Typhonix for “Typhoon Valve System” (SME Innovation Award)
– Island Offshore and Centrica for Riser-less coil tubing drilling
– TechInvent for the FluidCom™ technology (SME Innovation Award)
– Schlumberger – for their GeoSphere – reservoir mapping while drilling service
– Fishbones – for or its completion method for making large numbers of laterals simultaneously out of one wellbore (SME Innovation Award)
– Aker Solutions & Statoil – for the Åsgard Subsea Gas Compression System
– Biota Guard – for the Biota Guard System (SME Innovation Award)
– FMC Technologies – for the development of its innovative well control system, “Through Tubing Rotary Drilling” – TTRD
– Reelwell – for its research-based innovations, The Reelwell Drilling Method and Telemetry System (SME Innovation Award)
– Welltec – reverse circulating bit
– Cubility – for its MudCube™ enhanced fluid cleaning system (SME Innovation Award)
– Aker Kvaerner – Subsea
– Tomax (SME Innovation Award)
– BP Norge AS – seismic on demand, a new way to monitor reservoirs
– Total Catcher – the tubing disappearing plug (SME Innovation Award)
– AS Norske Shell – Fuel cell with zero emissions
– Easy Well Solutions (Incubator Award)
2000 Norsk Hydro ASA – H-Sep system for downhole separation of wellstream fluids
1998 ABB Offshore Technology AS – Subsis
1996 Maritime Hydraulics AS – RamRig drilling machine
1994 ETPM – SmartLeg heavy deck installation
1992 Kværner Energy AS – Booster station for subsea production
1990 Eastman Christensen – Contribution to added flexibility and accuracy in directional and horizontal drilling systems
1988 Norwegian Petroleum Consultants AS – Triss field development concept
1986 Ugland/Kongsberg Joint venture – Ukols offshore loading system
1984 Mobil Exploration and Production Norway – Subsea Atmospheric System
1982 Norwegian Contractors – Condeep
Special Innovation Award
The ONS Special Innovation Award is presented to an individual or organisation that have significantly influenced innovation processes, and or education/competence levels enabling innovation capabilities with great significance to the energy industry.
The award can be given to managers of innovative companies, inventors of new technology, project managers, researchers, university professors, research teams and laboratories or others with great significance for promoting innovations in the energy sector.
The award will only be given when a worthy candidate is found. Candidates can be nominated by any person or organisation within the energy sector.
Winners of the Special Innovation Award
– Tore Halvorsen for his leading capacity in the development and implementation of subsea technology for the global oil and gas industry.
– Andreas K.L Ugland
– Arne Smedal – The APL Loading Buoy System and The Sevan Marine Circular Floater Concept
– John C Mihm – Special Innovation Award for Ekofisk waterflood project
– Mr Farouk al Kasim
- Bjørn Tore Bjørsvik
- Project Manager, ONS Programme
- + 47 90187415